Sunday, January 11, 2015

Long Time Coming

Well, it's been a while.  I have thought of a million things I'd like to write about in the last few months.  New job, new attitude, new life, new kids....you name it.  Much has changed around here. But, each time I think I have my topic chosen, there is NO time to actually do it.  SO...today I am making some time.

I started a new job this year.  It has been unbelievably life changing for me.  I am working one-on-one with a boy and his service dog.  I never in a million years thought I would be an EC "shadow"/ assistant.  I didn't think I had the patience, or the stamina, or even the desire.  I was wrong!  I know what I'm doing and I'm really good at it.  (That realization alone has changed my whole attitude about life.) 
I am working in a classroom with two other certified teachers. The lead teacher was pregnant early in the year and took her 6 week maternity leave. During that time, the assistant (also certified) took over as lead and we had a substitute who filled in as assistant.  Both lead teachers have had struggles in the lead position.  Somehow, all of my experience and intuition started to kick in.  A burning desire to take over has almost killed me a couple of times.  BUT that is a really good thing.  Because after years of praying and meditating on what it is that I'm actually supposed to do in this world, I am finally figuring it out.  I am supposed to teach.  I am supposed to lead.  I know what I'm doing and I am good at it. 
WTF???
I still can't believe I feel comfortable saying that.  But after what seems like a million years of self-doubt, I finally know what I'm doing. All of these little parts of  knowledge, spirituality, experience, desire, growth, love, passion and confidence are all falling into place.
After a few conversations with the Director, I find myself teaching and planning more workshops, landing on the strategic planning committee, going to board meetings and planning like crazy to teach 4th grade next year. (I have also been asked to be on an Academic Excellence Committee with just the Director and a Founder. So honored.) 
I have worked harder than I have ever worked in my life.  I am making less money that I have ever made (working full time) in my life.  And even though some days are FILLED with stressful situations I can not control, I love where I am right now.  LOVE IT. 

Oddly enough, while work has decreased my hours of availability to my kids, home life has never been better either.  Weird.  Just weird.  Kids are all doing very well right now.  All seem happy and relaxed most of the time.  Things aren't perfect but the good and happy outweigh the yuck.  I was able to do a mini photoshoot yesterday!!!!














So super happy to start out this new year!!!  Can't wait to see what all crazy things happen this year!!!

4 comments:

amylou said...

So happy for you. You have ALWAYS been blessed with the heart of a teacher. (DUH- we all have known it for years). The kids are so beautiful...miss chatting with you!!! Love you much!

JDM said...

I have been waiting for a new post from you since the summertime pics. This was great. The kids never looked better. See you all soon. gp

Daricia said...

I'm glad to finally see this! Been missing you, wondering how you're doing. The kids look great…and I'm glad you're happy. I knew you would be crazy busy this year. Would love to see you. <3

Pat said...

Wonderful post. Love the pictures of my beautiful grands.