Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A day in the life...






So Stella hasn't been feeling all that well lately. She's a little snuffly (not too bad) and she has these little sores on the corners of her mouth that we can't seem to get rid of. After taking photos every day for the last 9 days, I decided to take the day off today. AND I decided to keep Stella home. I was so excited to have some time to actually relax and maybe do some editing without a ton of interruptions. I also assumed Stell would rest and relax. But you know...sometimes things just don't go according to plan.

The day started as usual, I got Finn up first and then the big girls followed. I drove Finn to school today (instead of H) and came back home to find S still in bed. Hallelujah! I scrambled to get a few things done before she woke up. After putting dishes in dishwasher, I sat down to check FB and maybe edit a photo or two.

Then, we heard Stell call out from her room. She wanted me. This is where things start to get interesting. I got up to go in her room and Nick (decided to be funny) jumped in front of me to get to her first. So I chased that fool down and knocked that big goof outta the way and BAM slammed my little baby toe into her little wooden baby crib at the foot of her bed. I knew at that moment that today was going to be a little different than I'd planned. I tried not to cry as I did my yoga breathing through the pain and I managed to squeak out a "Hi baby" before Nick could talk to her. It was funny and it hurt like crazy...and I was torn between tears and laughter for a few moments. Nick was polite and didn't laugh at me...cause he knew he probably better not.

Next, Stell let me lie down while she watched TV (which was AWESOME) and I think I must have slept through 2 episodes of Bubble Guppies before she said, "Mom...can I please have breakfast now?" I looked at the clock, it was 9:52!! So I guiltily said, "Sure."
As we were having our cereal and bagels, she started her mealtime ritual of I SPY and KNOCK KNOCK jokes. She finally said,

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Fork.
Fork who?
Fork you!!

Fits of laughter spewed out of her as I sat there dumbfounded thinking...did she just tell me off??

Then we set off to the bathroom to do our "chores" and she helped me clean the sink and the bathtub. She scrubbed and cleaned and I tried to keep up with my job of cleaning her new "clean-up" messes as fast as she could make them. Then she sat back, admired her work and said, "I sure do a good job." And what do you think she wanted to do after all of that hard scrubbing on the tub? Well, take a bath in that shiny thing of course. So I ran her bath, gathered her toys, tossed her in and ran to sit at the computer for a few seconds. Then I felt guilty about sitting and remembered laundry. I ran down to take clothes out of dryer..put new clothes in dryer...started new load and then I ran upstairs to fold them. While I was putting dish towels away, I noticed crumbs on the counter. I can't stand crumbs on the counter so I wiped them away. Then scrubbed the sink because...well...it was dirty. Then I had to sweep the crumbs that fell on the floor. Then I thought, COMPUTER? Edit a couple photos?? So I went to back down, opened one photo and as soon as it popped up on the screen, she yelled, "Hey Mom. I'd like some more toys please." Oh Lord. Well, she said please. So after a couple of "Wait a seconds" I went to get her more toys. Went back to computer. 2 min later I heard, "I'm ready to get out now." Of course you are. So she got out, we got her dressed and settled with a pile of new toys to play with.

I rushed back to computer to edit a few photos. I had literally been sitting for 5 min. and I hadn't even gotten to my photos yet cause I had to update my status on FB for goodness sakes. And here came Nick. Sweet thing. Came home to surprise us for lunch. He gave me the of-course-you-are-on-the-computer-why-haven't-you-answered-my-texts look. I tried to be nice and I gave him the thanks- honey-but-I-am-not-really-hungry-yet-cause-we -ate-breakfast-late speech...and he looked a little wilted. He brought his favorite yummy Greek wraps from The Fresh Market and some lentil soup. Even though I wasn't hungry, I ate it. I had to. I mean seriously...you can't eat a wrap later...it's just not good later. So we all ate together quickly and I ran back upstairs to attempt editing again. I was thinking maybe he will entertain her for a bit while he's home. Crap. His phone rang. It's all over.

.....yep. ...here she came...Trotted right over and said,
"Mommy, I am going to tell you a story...

There once was a little, little baby and his name was Pink Foot.
And he grew and grew and grew and grew and grew
and he liked smores. If people gave him smores, he would sing a song to them.
The End

"Awesome. Hey, if you want, you can go play with toys in your room. Or watch a show in my room. OR play out here in the living room. But I reallllly need to do a little photo work right now."

S- MOM!!! Do you know what 3+3 is??
M-Yes I do.
S- IT'S 6!! 6!! MOM!!!! IT'S SIX!!!!
M- Yes. I know. 
S- What's 2+2? 
S- What's 2+2 Mom?  MOM!!!
M-4
S- Correct!
M- Yes it it. Hey, about those photos??
S- Yeah. I don't think you should do that right now.
M- Why not?
S- Cause you are on that puter ALL THE TIME.

  (SERIOUSLY???? Are YOU KIDDING?)

And that, my friends, is when I gave up. I just said forget it! And went to her room to play. I guess my day off with her needs to be about her. Shheeessshh!!

Score status: Stella- like 5 or 6 Me- 0

See? The day just sort of had a mind of it's own or something. Or maybe Stella just had her own plan for our day off. In any case, by noon I felt like my day was out of my control so I just let it go. Maybe I needed to let the photos rest for a bit. Maybe I didn't really need to be on the computer at all today? Who knows?   All I know is that these type of things happens ALL the time.  My plans change ALL the time.  And when Nick and the kids get home, they STILL wonder why I seem tired and/or frustrated when I've been at home all day.


I guess maybe I will do photos later. Like at midnight. When all is quiet?!

No comments: