Friday, January 2, 2009

the soul's windows


Today was an interesting day. I had to return to work after a wonderful winter break and I was certainly dragging my feet. We had a staff meeting just before lunch and our friend, also a board member, came to guide us through some meditation techniques. My first reaction was one of resistance. None of the teachers knew that she was coming...a well devised plan by our administrator because she has the ability to see the future and knew that there would be resistance! Anyway, she took us through a visualization technique with a rope of light as a "grounding cord". We have done it before and I really enjoyed it. It took a while for me to relax and REALLY visualize. Of course I also had to bring myself back after a few minor distractions...but here comes the interesting part.
She usually stays away from any type of religious words. But today she actually mentioned God and I think even the word Christ! I fell out of my meditation momentarily to ask myself..."Did she just mention Christ? Is she assuming, here in our urban, public school that we are all Christian?" I then thought about the fact that I was focusing on whether or not she had said "Christ". I then turned in a different direction and thought..Did she say Christ, or is that just what I was feeling? So I immediately went back into the visualization. And every time she said, "Feel as though you are letting the light fill up your head...Feel as though the light is traveling through the rest of your body..." I kept picturing "THE LIGHT". I was feeling/visualizing Christ all through my body. I had been freezing cold earlier and I was suddenly very comfortable. When it was over and she told us to open our eyes, I discovered that I had tears streaming down my face.
My first thought...I look like a fool. I realized very quickly however, that everyone else was still stretching and coming out of it. I don't think anyone else even noticed it. Once I let that ego thing go...I felt extremely peaceful. I then managed to feel that way for the rest of the day.
I am telling you, meditation is a powerful thing. And so is resistance. I don't know why I feel the need to resist Christ sometimes. I love the life and teachings of Jesus. I love everything he represents. I guess I just don't always agree with other's interpretations and when you feel shut out or judged by people who claim Christ as THEIRS...you get a little turned off. I just know that Jesus and I had time together today and I am going to invite him back.

No comments: